Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Back from vacation

I love vacation, even if it is for a few days. School is overwhelming as usual, but one thing I know I am god at is checking out when I am not there. Early in my school career, vacations generally created more stress than they were worth.

Well, no longer to I experience an existential crisis - though I did spend a good chunk of my time up north talking to old colleagues, meeting with old advisors and collaborators and trying to find a path for my future. Mainly, I ate and drank a lot. Now I am back home, a few pounds heavier and worn down to the point of exhaustion. I even received the gift of bronchitis for Xmas. Hooray!

The places my parents like to go are generally meat heavy, so when you do get a vegetarian dish it is either fried or covered in cream sauce. I try to stick to ethnic places because I know I can get something good. One of the meals I had while I was up was absolutely delicious, and seemingly healthy. Tofu hash with black beans, sweet potatoes and caramelized onions. Topped with a chunk of vegan cornbread and a mimosa = heaven at brunch.



I'm trying to get my health back on track with a week full of healthy meals, beginning each day with a green smoothie to help ward off this awful sickness. Let's hope it helps!

My morning smoothie:
1 bunch spinach
1/2 frozen banana
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1/3 cup silken tofu
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 packet splenda
water as needed

No comments:

Post a Comment