Sunday, October 17, 2010

Pumpkin, Chickpea and Red Lentil Stew

Like every body else in the world- I love PUMPKIN. In fact, my most favorite place in the world is PUMPKINVILLE! In addition to pumpkin-flavored baked goods that are so abundant this time of the year, I also love recipes using actual pumpkin. Last year I made THIS recipe for pumpkin black bean bake (without the beef), from better Homes and Gardens* ... and it was great. However, I vowed never to touch an actual pumpkin again after making pumpkin puree. It was a total pain in the butt and tasted almost identical to the canned variety. My mother sent me THIS recipe - and it looked like a winner. So I actually peeled and seeded a pumpkin.

I just made and devoured this, and it was great. Perfectly spiced and easy to throw together!


Ingredients

1
pound pie pumpkin peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
1
15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
3
medium carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
1 large onion, chopped

1
cup red lentils
2
Tbsp tomato paste
1
Tbsp grated fresh ginger
1
Tbsp lime juice
1
Tsp ground cumin
1/4 Tsp Na++
1/4 Tsp ground turmeric
1/4
Tsp ground black pepper
4
cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Throw everything but the cilantro into a slow cooker. Cook for 7-8 hours on low, or 4-5 hours on high.


Garnish with cilantro. Serve over Israeli couscous (I throw a dried ancho chile in mine for a kick of flavor).


The finished product. Yum. Verdict? Make it.




*The actual magazine that taught me to cook back in 6th grade - high school. It worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment