Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sometimes winning can be fun

Being in grad school gets pretty depressing. Spending your days writing and writing, usually not even speaking to an actual human being all day. After 4 years, you get pretty worn down and are just ready to leave. I am in need-to-graduate mode, so I spend all of my hours writing, addressing corrections, and meeting with my advisor. There is no joy in my day, that's for sure. The only things that seem to brighten my day are food, sunshine (when I get to see it), when something unfortunate happens to a person I dislike, and chocolate.

Today - I was not feeling well, and I was exhausted from another running workout last night. The husband left at 5:30 to go play hockey, leaving on hall lights galore. I put a pillow over my head and vowed to sleep until I wanted to wake up. The cat woke me up at 8- I checked my phone and realized I had forgotten all about my dentist appointment today. I rushed out of the house, into the pouring rain, unshowered and miserable, ready to be pumped full of novocaine. One injection and two fillings later- I was rewarded with an Otis Spunkenmeyer cookie, which I could not resist and chewed with half of my face.

I returned home to find a package on my front porch - which I assumed were my wedding thank-you's.... which reminded me how many of them we now have to write, and I became more miserable. Instead- I found the contents of a giveaway I had won from Chai & Yoga. I was so thrilled that I won something - and even decided to work from home today - to spare myself from the florescent lights and smelly cubicle for at least one day. Yay! And no one had to get rejected from 12 grad schools to make me smile.


1 comment:

  1. i love when something unfortunate happens to someone i dislike!

    ReplyDelete